Add a Product or Edit an Existing Product
We have already learned how to add new products in WooCommerce. For this tutorial you will edit an existing product or add a new product with variables. You can turn any product into a variable product — new or old.
Variables allow you to sell different versions of the same product. For example, if you are selling a shirt that comes in different sizes you can assign the following variables: small, medium, large, extra large.
Using Variable Attributes
Before setting up attributes and variables make sure that your product is set to Variable product under the Product Datadropdown menu.
How to Set up Your Attributes
The first step in setting up variables is determining your attributes. These are the values that will change for your product. They can be sizes, colors, configurations, and likewise.
The steps below will explain how you can assign these attributes to a product.
- Log into WordPress Dashboard
- In your WordPress panel choose Products
- Select the product you want to edit, or a add a new product
- In Product Data click the dropdown menu and select Variable Product
- Click Attributes
- Click the dropdown menu to assign a global attribute or make a new custom attribute
- Choose Variations to edit your variables
- For the size example, you'll see you have the variables available for editing
- Click the triangle icon to open the variable dropdown
- From here, you can make the necessary edits
Well done! You know how to use product variations in WooCommerce.